ProgressNow is a nationwide network of 27 State Partner Affiliates who run year-round strategic campaigns to promote progressive ideas and values and win elections. Each affiliate is a communication, digital outreach and media hub of full-time professionals who work with partner organizations to engage and mobilize diverse communities and activists through cutting edge digital communications and innovative earned and paid media strategies. A core part of the in-state and national progressive infrastructure, together our state network affiliates reach and move millions of voters through data-driven best practices, organic and paid digital content built on decades of experience and research.
ProgressNow facilitates communications and digital organizing tables that align and coordinate a shared message and strategy. From staffing issue coalitions, developing message and communications calendars, training and pitching spokespeople, to developing digital content for partners and coordinating digital ad buys to maximize impact, we organize the progressive community’s communications for maximum impact.
ProgressNow’s national operations are led by its President, Anna Scholl, interim Managing Director Lonnie Scott and a team that includes expertise in communications, organizing, technology, research, and data analysis.
What You’ll Do
The Training Manager will devise and develop training curricula, materials, and programming to help create a robust and self-perpetuating progressive communications ecosystem using the ProgressNow Megaphone App. They will provide “train the trainer” programming for in-state communications organizers, volunteers, and national content creators. They are responsible for helping the Megaphone Program Director to translate organizing strategies and tactics into trainings for communications organizers, while also working with in-state organizers to ensure they have the training materials they need to “level up” their volunteers. Through the creation of trainings, the Training Manager will help organizers learn the strategies and tactics they need to identify, recruit, engage and retain new volunteers, and help volunteers become more effective storytellers as well as combat misinformation and disinformation being spread on social media channels. The Training Manager should be well versed in the creation and implementation of multi-stage training regiments within the progressive political space.
This is an election cycle, remote position that ends on January 31, 2025 and reports to the Megaphone Program Director
- Work with staff to scope and design a series of Megaphone App trainings that are geared toward volunteers with limited time and political experience as well as “train the trainer” curricula that teaches in-state teams to deliver trainings effectively
- Create trainings that give volunteers an understanding of emotional connection and messaging that will include storytelling, story of self, and other key skills that can be leveraged using the Megaphone App
- Work directly with state-based communicators to help create trainings and materials that can be used to make content creation easier and more effective
- Create trainings that give volunteers at a more advanced level the tools they need to leverage and grow their own social media followings.
- Work with staff to assess skills gaps in communication organizers work and create trainings that address those skills gaps
- Work directly with state-based organizers and national content creation team to develop training materials that help volunteers create their own emotionally connective social media content
- Assist in recruitment and coordination of outside trainers as needed
- Work with in-state teams to have regularly scheduled training programs for both staff and volunteers
Required Experience, Skills, and Qualifications:
- 5-7 years of relevant experience in both the practical application of political organizing or communications
- Proven track record as a seasoned trainer and experience developing training materials and curricula
- Broad understanding of both field and communications landscapes and the ability to work with different teams to help them communicate what trainees need to know in order to be most effective
- Skilled communicator who can translate organizing concepts and help mentor/assist organizers in their work
- Can point to previously developed training materials and successes in communicating/training/mentoring staff and volunteers
- Understands how to move a volunteer up a ladder or engagement and can help organizers develop volunteers into leaders
- An understanding of how personal stories and emotional connection affect public opinion
- Experience working with coalition partners
Because negotiating is inherently inequitable, we want to be transparent about what benefits we can offer up front. The salary for this position is $75,000.
Our benefits package includes:
- Unlimited vacation with a requirement that each staff member take at least 2 weeks each year.
- Eight paid holidays as well as an office closure annually between Christmas and New Year’s Day.
- Employer-paid health, vision, and dental insurance
- A 401K plan with 3% employer match
- Annual professional development stipend
*Proof of COVID-19 vaccination (including eligible boosters) is required for employment unless a medical or religious accommodation is granted.
ProgressNow is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all qualified persons regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or gender identity, national origin, involvement with the criminal justice system, or age.
Research has shown that women and members of historically marginalized groups often only apply to jobs when they feel they meet 100% of the qualifications. We are committed to creating an equitable, inclusive, and diverse organization and we strongly desire applicants with a wide range of experiences and backgrounds: even if you don’t see yourself fully reflected in every qualification listed, we still encourage you to reach out and apply.
To apply, click here.